Friday, March 4, 2011

Foodie Friday- Condensed Cream Soups

I don't buy condensed cream of whatever soup. It just kinds weirds me out and it is not exactly that great for ya. I make my own. It's pretty easy. If you can make gravy or a white sauce, you can do condensed cream soups. The first time I made it, I followed Tammy's recipe. It's a great recipe. I still use it as a guideline for basic ingredients. Here is my version.

Condensed Cream Soup

3 cups chicken broth
3 cups milk
1 1/2 cups flour
1tsp seasoned salt
1-2 TBSP parsley
1-2 TBSP dried chives
1 tsp ground black pepper

Heat chicken broth and seasonins in a large pan until it boils. In a large mason jar, put all of the flour and enough milk to almost fill the jar. Shake well to fully mix the flour and milk. Pour milk/flour mixture into the boiling chicken broth and whisk until mixture is thickened. I whir it up with an immersion blender just to make extra sure it's not lumpy. Portion out the soup into freezer containers and freeze. I use these.

You can make a cream of mushroom version by adding finely chopped mushrooms to the broth when you are starting. I make the mushroom version quite a bit. Sometimes I can find mushrooms marked down for quick sale, so I buy all of them I can and use them to make this soup. I like the fact that I know exactly what is in it and I can feel good about feeding it to my family. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment