Monday, April 11, 2011

Missions Monday-A missions trip of our very own.

I am pretty sure I have mentioned that I have a heart for missions. I was always fascinated with the missionary stories I heard as a kid. However, I didn't grow up in a church that was very missions minded. We are lucky to have found a church here in Texas that is VERY missions minded and it is wonderful.

I know that I have a calling to missions. Not sure how that is going to play out, but I know that GOD has placed that calling on my life. When we moved to Texas from England, and we found this wonderful church, I began praying for direction. We had decided that I would stay home the first year we were here so that everyone could get settled, then I would start back to school. I had no idea what I was going to go to school for. I had wanted to be a teacher when I was younger, but the more I thought about it I wasn't sure if that was the right choice now. I had narrowed it down to teaching and nursing, then I began to pray. During that prayer time GOD told me to go with nursing and that eventually that would lead me into some sort of missions related thing. Now, I thought that was awesome news. However, my husband was not a believer at the time and his view on missions was pretty much "why can't you guys just leave those people alone and let them believe what they want to belive". I believe there were several references to The Crusades mentioned as well.  So, I moved forward with the nursing thing and figured GOD would have to work on the husband thing.  After much prayer from many people, and the loving acceptance he felt at our church, my husband gave his life to the LORD. His views on missions changed and I continued to plug on with my schooling. 

Recently our family had the priviledge of meeting the Freeman family, who spoke at our church on Missions Sunday (which is the 1st Sunday of every month).  I wrote about that experience here. It really ignited a passion for missions in our family. Shortly after that our church announced it was going to be a part of a missions trip to Haiti. This is a building trip, for men ( not that women aren't capable, but the logistics are easier when it's just a group of the same sex). My husband jumped at the chance to go. I couldn't have been more thrilled.

After a bit of stress with getting paperwork sorted, (he was born in Germany, and we didn't have a properly certifed copy of his Birth Abroad form to send in for a passport and we couldn't find an expired passport until recently) he has finally turned in his passport paperwork and he's ready to go just as soon as that passport gets here. I am so excited and thrilled for him, and a little bit jealous. I know that this is going to be such a blessing for him and I can't wait to hear how GOD works through this team during this trip. This group of men are going to help build buildings that were destroyed by the recent earthquake. It is going to be a lot of hard, but rewarding work.

Now that we have sorted out all the paperwork issues, it is time for the planning stages of this trip. We do have  cash set aside for this trip. However, I know that some people that want to go on this trip but do not have all of the funding necessary. We were recently blessed by an anonymous donation toward Dave's Haiti trip from someone at our church that will help pay for some of his costs. I would like you the chance to help with this Haiti trip.  First and foremost we need this entire team covered in prayer. Our church is going with several other churches. If you could cover all those involved in prayer leading up to this trip, during this trip, and during their return, we would greatly appreciate it. We all know that the enemy loves to throw monkey wrenches into the works of such wonderful projects as these. We would also like to give those of you that are interested in donating funds to help meet someone's fundraising needs. I have created a paypal donation button that I am going to attempt to attach to this post. If that doesn't work, I'll stick it somewhere over there----->. Any money that is donated will go straight toward this Haiti trip help someone meet their financial goals. We will donate the money to those that need it. If you want the money you donate to go specifically to Dave, please let me know when you make your donation.

Your prayers for this trip are much coveted and greatly appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment