Friday, February 18, 2011

Foodie Friday-Dinner Rolls

I love making breads and rolls from scratch. I usually let my bread machine do the 'hard' work of kneading and rising and all that stuff. But, still.  I have a dinner roll recipe I use all the time and I have used it for years and years. Lately however, it hasn't been turning out as well as I would like it to. It made good roll, but they were not fabulous rolls.

So, I went on the hunt for a new dinner roll recipe to try out.  I found this one, which is fabulous. The rolls are slightly sweet, but not too sweet. They rose perfectly. The texture was great and they didn't taste too yeasty.  I did change it up a bit, so here's what I did.

Sweet Dinner Rolls

  • 1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)

  • 1/2 cup warm milk

  • 1 egg

  • 1/3 cup butter, softened

  • 1/3 cup white sugar

  • 1 teaspoon salt

  • 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

  • 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast



  • Mix water, milk, sugar, and yeast in a bowl and stir well. I just used a Pyrex measuring cup that I measured out the milk and water into. Let sit for a few minutes while you gather the rest of the ingredients.  I let it sit until it started to get a little foamy on the top. Pour milk/water/sugar/yeast mixture into your bread machine, add remaining ingredients and run on the dough cycle.

    When bread machine is done. Dump the dough out into a well oiled bowl. You can cover it at this point and put it in the fridge to shape the rolls later, or you can shape the rolls now. Shape rolls into balls the size you desire. I made mine about ping pong ball size.  Place dough balls into a well greased pan. The size of the dough balls will determine how many rolls you get out of this dough. I want to say I got just over 20, but honestly I forgot to count. :) Cover  with a tea towel and let rise until doubled. This took about 30 min or so in my oven with the light on. It will take more or less time depending on the temp in your house. Warmer temps = less time. Cooler temps = more time. 

    Once rolls have risen, preheat your oven to 400 degrees. At this point you can melt a little butter (1/4 cup or so) and pour that over your rolls. Put rolls in the oven and bake rolls 10-15 minutes or until done. I had to place a tent of foil over mine because the tops were getting a bit too brown for my liking. It could have been because of the butter, but I don't think so. I don't usually cook my rolls at this high of a temperature.

     These made THE BEST ROLLS EVER!!! The texture was perfect. Everyone ate at least 3 of these rolls for dinner.

    2 comments:

    1. What kind of pan did you use? A muffin pan? I may have to try this one soon...

      ReplyDelete
    2. No. I used that round Pampered Chef baker. You could make 3 tiny balls of dough and put them in a muffin tin to make those cloverleaf (?) rolls. I think that's what they are called.

      ReplyDelete