Friday, February 11, 2011

Foodie Friday- Freezing Milk



In an attempt to keep our grocery budget down and  make our lives easier by reducing the amount of time I actually spend grocery shopping, I freeze a LOT of stuff. I look for really good sales and I stock up as freezer space and grocery money allows.

Earlier this week I took the last gallon of milk out of the freezer. That means I needed another sale on milk. Now, I could pay full price for milk, but I don't wanna. I usually stock up on it when it is on sale and I freeze it. It's pretty easy to do. Anyway, today I went looking for marked down milk, since no one in town had any on sale, and I found some. YAY!! I love how God provides the things you need when you need them. I had just enough grocery money left for the week to buy just enough 1/2 gallons to fill the empty space in our freezer. That is God's provision at work right there. :)

So, how to you freeze milk, you ask? It's easy peasy. You buy your milk and bring it home. You open it up.  You pour a little bit of milk off of each gallon or half gallon or whatever, put the lid back on and pop it in the freezer. Not everyone I know pours a bit off, but I do. I have had milk jugs split, and sometimes you don't know until you are thawing the milk out. Not pretty.

It is super easy to thaw. Just take it out and put it on the counter. Shake it up a bit whenever you walk by. Stick it in the fridge when it's almost totally thawed. Now, I am sure there are some people who are freaking out because I just said to thaw something out on the counter. I grew up in a time where you thawed chicken out on the counter. I survived. But, if you don't wanna take a chance with counter thawing ( I'm not entirely sure how big a risk it really is, actually.) You can put it in the fridge to thaw. It takes a lot longer that way, but it'll work.

I usually take a frozen gallon out to thaw when we are down to about 1/2 a gallon left. That's what works for us. We usually won't finish out the remaining gallon before the frozen one thaws. Lately we've been buying 1/2 gallons, because of sales/markdowns. (See the picture above. Can't pass up that kind of a deal.) I take 2 of those out to thaw when we are down to 1/2 gallon in the fridge.


So, that's your freezer tip this week. Come back next week and see what I'm feeding my family. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment